Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes We Can!

I woke up this morning with such a hopeful feeling. I woke knowing that after 8 long years, the divisiveness that has torn this country will begin to be healed. I woke knowing that we will have a real leader to help steer us through the economic challenges ahead. I woke knowing that there will be someone in the White House who truly does care about health care and climate change.He really does know the cost of the thousands of our men and women who are in a war that most of the American people don't want, he cares that thousands of Americans and innocent Iraqi's have been killed, and wounded in violence they just want to end.And most of all I woke knowing that we will have a real leader who understands that most of us want to be a part of those solutions. We don't want to be told that the way to support out country is to go shopping. I have never felt so much patriotism and pride as I did last night while I watched Barak Obama's speech and heard him say:

"I know you didn't do this just to win an election and I know you didn't do it for me. You did it because you understand the enormity of the task that lies ahead.For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime - two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century.....The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there.....I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation the only way its been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years - block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand."

I'll admit I cried. I couldn't help it.
And now it's time to roll up our sleeves and tell our President "Yes we can!"

2 comments:

Melissa Gasparotto said...

I cried too, Mom. In fact, I'm still periodically tearing up when I think of how this campaign has really wiped out so much cynicism and inspired otherwise univolved people to wake up and pay attention to our power to change things for the better. When I got back into NY at 11 last night I walked all over downtown and there were throngs of joyful people converging everywhere on the streets. I've never seen anything like it.

sunnyjimmy said...

hey guys - carla and i cried too. amazing. superb. beautiful. inspiring.