Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Self Striping Dyeing
Ok I finally got a nice morning and enough time to try the self striping dyeing. I took pics along the way, so I will post them here. I tied the yarn up into small, approximately 13-15 yd. bundles with about 10 to 12 inches of yarn between the bundles. I ended up with 13 bundles which I soaked in the sink.
Then I mixed the dyes and distributed the bundles into the bottles in the pot going around and around til all the bundles were distributed. I used Cushings dyes; navy in jar #1, cherry with a few grains of blue in jar #2, canary with a few grains of reseda green in jar #3, and peacock in jar #4. I simmered the jars for about an hour, and added a dollop of vinegar to each jar for the last 10 minutes.
I took each bundle out of the jars individually and wound it onto my niddy noddy. I wanted to avoid a tangled mess and this worked quite well. It took longer than I thought but that was ok.
Here's the yarn tied into a skein and hung on the line to dry.
I don't think I would want to try this with any longer length of yarn than the 150 yds without a different way to do it. Maybe a roasting pan in the oven would work, and since it's bigger I could maybe go with 6 colors instead. I'd like to try this with a warping board too, and then paint the yarn before it would go onto the stove or into the oven. Anyway, I am pleased with my first attempt.