Monday, October 22, 2007

In a Funk

I've sort of been in a funk lately. I made a couple of bags, and I have this craft show this coming Saturday, but I just am uninterested in the whole thing lately. ASPO had their meeting in Houston, and the news coming out of it is not good. There's actually a great article over at the Guardian that I read this morning: http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,,2196435,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront. The Oil Drum is covering the ASPO conference: http://www.theoildrum.com/ The thing is we seem to be so wrapped up in the political cycle here in the US that nobody seems to notice that with the dire predictions that are increasingly becoming true that are coming out of the energy sector, it doesn't matter who sits in the White House, unless that person is willing to make themselves very unpopular by instituting severe rationing of gas. The way of life that we know is quickly going to become extinct. And most people don't realize how bad it's going to get. I had a lady on Saturday who was making fleece blankets and she wanted a separate plastic bag for each blanket so she wouldn't forget what went with what. She was making 3 blankets and she was willing to cause more harm to the environment because she couldn't remember what went where. She's a fucking idiot, just like 80% of the people who I run across everyday at work. People don't seem to get the fact that we may very well be at the end of human existence and that we have no one to blame but ourselves. We have fucked up the only place we have to live to the point where it's on the verge of no longer being able to support us. We have driven ourselves to the point of extinction, and taken something like 2/3rd's of the other life forms that were here with us. What kind of crazy species does that? I am past the point of hope, I used to believe that the human race was resourceful and we could come up with the solutions for all our problems. I used to believe in God, too, but I don't anymore. At least not today. Maybe not ever again. If there ever was a God he deserted us long ago.

No comments: