Friday, October 19, 2007

Robert Hirsch Interview

This is an excellent interview with Robert Hirsch where he talks about Peak Oil and how that relates to a peak economy. He also talks about possible solutions to the problem. http://www.davidstrahan.com/blog/?p=63
I have to say that I haven't been thinking a lot about the problem lately anyway. It's just so huge that I have to step back and just leave it alone for awhile. John is pretty wrapped up in politics, and I admit that I get that way too, especially in the current climate of less and less respect for the Constitution by the current administration, but when it comes right down to it, in the long run it doesn't matter. Whoever is in office, as oil declines, along with our economy and all the resultant ways we live because of it, control of the general populace will be ramped up, at least at first, as long as the resources exist for the federal gov't to keep that control. Eventually that will end, too, and it will come down to a much smaller level. Hopefully we can make the transition to a much simpler lifestyle on a much more local level with a minimum of violence; however I don't see that as being possible. When global warming is thrown in and the fact that we are using the resources we have left to drive fucking SUV's to Wal-Mart to buy stupid stuff we don't need that was shipped here from China using more of those resources instead of trying to ration what we have left to help come up with solutions to both problems, we are well and trully fucked. I believe we may be at the end of the human race; we're driving ourselves with our SUV's right to the exit sign: Extinction 2 miles. I would like to believe that there are enough sane people to get us on the right track, but I don't know. I guess I'm just in a real funk. I know it's awful but it's just easier to pretend the whole thing doesn't exist. I can take my reusable shopping bags to the grocery store, and tell John to walk to the store to get smokes and pretend like that's enough. I just don't have enough in me right now to do anything else.

No comments: