Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Potholders and Pillowcases

As promised, pics from both last Tuesday and this Tuesday.



Sorry about the wrinkled pillowcases. We are using them and this was right after I woke up. Being 100% cotton, they wrinkle. A lot. However, they turned out really nice, and were super easy. Plus this was fabric that was initially in my "get rid of " pile. The tutorial for these can be found here: http://www.filminthefridge.com/2010/01/27/pretty-quick-pillowcase-tutorial/




Last week I needed pillow cases, this week we needed potholders, and I found these cute ones at Craft. http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/04/craft_project_simple_quilted_p.html I used some of my 1930's reproduction scraps for these in red, blacks and yellows. I am considering making some kitchen curtains out of thrifted white sheets. I have some retro looking anthropomorphic pots and pans embroidery transfers that I was thinking of embroidering on the curtains in black and red, and these cute potholders will fit right in. I might make some flour sack towels with patchwork borders in the same scraps too. The kitchen here has never had a real makeover since 1t was built in the early 1950's. I can't afford to give it one, so I guess we'll just go with the outdated style by making retro stuff to fit in.

I have been just organizing stuff in general, and lately I've been working on my fabric collection just because it is way too big. I am trying to be ruthless and give away stuff that I haven't used in the last 3 to 5 years and honestly will never use. The little wall pockets from a couple of weeks ago are perfect for fat quarters. I'll post pics later when I'm finished.

No comments: