Saturday, November 06, 2010

Trinity Church











I visited Trinity Church while I was visiting Melissa The church building on the site now dates to 1846, but the original church on the site was built in 1698. The graveyard was very cool; Alexander Hamilton and his wife are buried there. Some of the tombstones are just weathered away and are unreadable. One of the oldest ones that we read that was still legible dated from 1752, but there are much older ones in there. The church was nice on the outside too, but I didn't go in; it was Sunday and there was a service going on. Apparently there is another church and graveyard associated with Trinity, St Paul's Chapel, which was used for awhile when the church was destroyed by a fire in 1776. I didn't see that, but it's on my list for the next time I visit. In the meantime, here are my pics from this trip with a shot of the front of the church, some detail of the side and the graveyard.

No comments: