Monday, September 29, 2008

Bags





I've been working on some bags and I think they are turning out nicely. I am using recycled fabric for them. The camel one is recycled wool, and the applique leaves are from leftover dyed wool from my rug making stash. The lining is a leaf print that is recycled from a cotton top that I bought for $1 at the resale shop. The green bag is made from a pair of cords and a recycled sweater; I lined that with a new green on green cotton from my stash. The last one is the one I'm working on now. The solid black is from a pair of wool pants, the black and white is a silk/wool blend also from a pair of pants. I had it in my rug making stash but it ravels a bit more than I like to use. I have a set of black plastic handles that I might use, or I might make some. I'm going to find a vintage button to sew in the center of the red flower. I don't know what I'm using for a lining yet.

Sio and I went to Evanston on Saturday. Carla and her neighbor organized a bunch of people to bombard an empty lot with seeds to make it look better. It used to have a nice older building, but it was sold and knocked down to put up condos. In the current market I guess they didn't get their funding so the lot has just been sitting there. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and the lot will have wildflowers instead of just being an eyesore. In the past this might have been a waste of time but in the current economic climate there may never be a building on that lot. If things continue to worsen someone might tear down that fence and start growing food instead of flowers. We had lunch before hand at the Indian buffet, and dinner after at Lucky Platter where they have the best macaroni and cheese in the world!

It looks like they have come to some sort of agreement on a bail out bill in Congress. I haven't read the details yet so I'm going to do that now.

No comments: