Friday, January 04, 2008

Hooray for Dyeing!!!!!






I sat down and really looked at the book Joan gave me for the quilt show, and it could be one of the most remarkable quilt books I have ever had. It's called Quilting by Improvisation and it's by Vikki Pignatelli and the ideas just scream for hand dyed fabrics. I have read it now in a couple of sittings and I think I am going to do two things. She supplies a pattern in the book which she calls "My Star Dances", and I am going to copy that and perhaps add a bit to the outside of the block using different hand dyed and batik fabrics. Then I am going to pull out a bunch of fabrics that I can dye and overdye and see where they take me. I have an idea of what I'd like to do and I may make a rough sketch, but other than that I'm just going to let it go and see what happens. I started dyeing fabrics today, the 3 here are low immersion dyed, however I did do a little smushing and used an eye dropper to get dye inside some of the creases and folds. I really like the effects I got on the pale yellow piece. I used yellow, bubble gum and aquamarine. I used aquamarine, yellow and forest green on the turquoise mottled piece. They were both Kona PFD fabric fat 1/4's I cut. The piece on the bottom was a piece of grey cotton I had. It's thinner than Kona so it's probably some of the quilters cotton we have at work. I used turquoise and then darkened it up with black and poured on a bit more. I may do another batch before I go to bed; I need some dark blues and purples.

No comments: