Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Thrift Store Shopping






Over the holidays, while Melissa and Mary were in, we visited the Village Thrift Store several times. I had been meaning to go ever since I realized it was there, which was several months ago, but had just never gotten around to it. As far as things go, it's on a par price wise with Salvation Army, however it doesn't have nearly as much furniture or housewares. It does have tons of clothes though, and it does 1/2 off certain colored tags just like Salvation Army. Melissa was really excited because they are so much cheaper than thrift shops in New York. She got a bunch of nice things for $28. I went with Siobhan, too, and she and I had a lot of fun looking and buying stuff. In 3 trips, and spending about $30, I got 4 sweaters, 3 skirts, 2 t-shirts, a jumper, a vintage early to mid 60's coat and 5 assorted pieces of household linens which I am going to transform into some different things. The jumper I bought for me and it isn't in any of the pics; it's already washed and hung in my closet, it will go very nicely with my boots and cream turtleneck John gave me for Christmas. The coat I got for Carla; it needs new buttons but that shouldn't be a problem. I already felted and took apart 3 of the sweaters, and I am going to make a pair of fingerless gloves out of the sleeves of one of them. I'm going to add a bit of embroidery; I'll post a pic when I'm done.

There is also a picture of the fat quarters Melissa bought me for Christmas. I love getting fabric, especially since I am going to try and limit my purchase of new fabrics, and Melissa got such a nice mix that I can make all kinds of things.

No comments: