Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Sample Piece

I finished the sample block from the book, and I think it's OK. The top 2 pics are of it with the pieces pinned in place on the stabilizer. I was lucky to have a scrap of the star batik print left over from a bag I made for Siobhan ages ago, and it looks good with the block as a border. I quilted using Sulky embroidery threads, but I had white thread in the bottom and I should have changed it because it came through onto the top. The quilting is echo quilting, and it worked well. I think I am going to take a day to do a practice piece using free motion and see if I can do it acceptably. If I can I'm going to quilt it myself instead of asking Gloria. One of my big concerns is that I left the stabilizer in place like the book said, but I think it might be better to use a wash out or tear away as far as the actual quilting goes. I think I got some of the wrinkles because of the stabilizer.

The bottom pic is of the dyeing I've done over the last couple of days. I dyed all the fabrics except the bottom left hand piece that looks like stripes. I added half a yard to my model garment stuff because it looks like it was dyed to match the pieces I dyed. I may dye a bit more today, but maybe not. I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do for the actual wall hanging, but I need to figure it out in the next day or two.

No comments: