Friday, March 23, 2007

Grandmothers Flower Garden






I was watching Simply Quilts this morning and the show was about making a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt. I've never made one because they seem like so much work, but the lady who was the guest used plastic templates and the basting was just catching the corners down. Then after that you whip stitch the pieces together. I made my templates from some coffee can lids and old butter container lids. I punched 2 holes in the center of each template to pin it down while cutting 1/4 inch around it. I did learn that the seam allowance should be 1/4 inch; any smaller and the templates start popping out before every thing is all sewed together. It's important to leave the template in until all the pieces are sewn to it, I popped out the center template in the last picture. This is the greatest take-along project. And it's a really good way to recycle all the plastic lids that seem to accumulate after the containers have melted in the microwave or whatever. Or the yogurt cup lids. I have a ton of 1930's reproduction prints, so I'll make the flowers from those. All I need to do is find enough of a solid to be the outside rings. I'd like to use a pale yellow or blue, but I might have to go with white if I don't have enough of either of those. I also have a skirt to finish for E-bay. I got an e-mail from a girl who wants to buy the Celtic dress but she doesn't get paid til the 30th. She wanted to know if I don't sell it would I save it for her, so I'm going to tell her to bid on it anyway, and if she wins the auction it's ok to wait til the 30th to pay for it.

1 comment:

Melissa Gasparotto said...

That's such a great idea! It really is a great portable project. I love the tutorial.
Speaking of portable projects...you should learn how to knit socks and then make this pair for me.