Thursday, March 01, 2007

Patchy panels






Just a short demo on foundation pieced patchy panels. I cut a piece of prewashed muslin to a tiny bit bigger than the size I want, in this case I cut it 7 1/2" x 45", I'll trim it down to 7"x43" after I've done all the patching.

Lay a patch down at one end of the muslin, right side up. I usually pin the first one down.


For the second row, I've sewn 2 pieces of fabric together to make a strip. Lay it down on top of the 1st piece, right sides together, and sew it down through all the layers.


The 3rd pic shows the 2nd strip flipped down and pressed in place. And I just keep adding pieces til my muslin foundation is covered. I don't worry if some of the pieces hang off the edge, because I'll trim them when I'm finished.


Sometimes I make little blocks of patches and then sew them to the foundation, like in the last 2 pictures.


This is one of the best ways to get rid of scraps, and I really enjoy the whole process of making random patchwork. It's a lot of fun.

No comments: