Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hand Dyed Cottons






Well, I tried the hand dyeing technique and I'm pretty happy with the results considering this is the first time I've done it. I posted some pics of the process, and there are a couple of things I'll do next time. I did 2 pieces of white fabric and one of grey.I should have used a bit more dye and I think my colors would have been a bit more brilliant. These are ok, especially the blue over the grey; I think it will make a nice background for an evening sky. The lighter grey and magenta reminds me of dawn a bit, too, so I can probably use that one.There are bits of yellow like maybe the sun is starting to come up. The pinky magenta came out ok, too, I'm just not sure what I'll use it for. Anyway, next time I'll use more dye. I also could leave it to set a bit longer. She said in her directions that an hour is enough, but I know when I've tie dyed, the longer the dyes react with the fixative, the brighter the color. I mixed turquoise, magenta and a smidge of black for the blue dye, and poured some of it over all 3 pieces of fabric. That's all I did to the grey, but one of the white pieces got some yellow poured on it after the blue, and the other got some magenta. I can definitely see where the blue dye started to separate back into the colors it was made from. Next time I'm going to go for a bit more brilliance, and see if I can't get a bit more control on how the end result turns out.



No comments: