Sunday, September 03, 2006

Behind the House






I took pictures yesterday of the field and woods behind the house where we have been gathering our plants. We really are lucky to have a place like this so close to us; it's hard to believe it's right smack dab in the middle of suburbia. Siobhan took some nice pictures of a paper wasp nest we saw the other day when we were back there. This time we were coming out from between some trees to the road and I saw what I swear was a coyote. I don't think it was a dog, Sio saw it too, but it took off into the trees so fast we never got a picture. Some of the area is protected wetlands, but some of it is not, I think as long as the wetlands are there it makes it hard to develop any of the other land back there. I guess they could come in off of 22nd, although there isn't really that much room, there are already 2 complexes and some businesses. Anyway, I'm just glad it's back there.
I also have pictures of some of the dyeing results which are mostly shades of brown so far. I used the sumac with an alum mordant and got a brown that had more of a rust overtone. The purple/black berries gave me a brown with green streaks in it which you really can't see in the pictures.I am going to try the goldenrod with alum today, and also the Queen Anne's Lace.

No comments: